Sunday, March 31, 2013

No-Book Recipes: Tzimmes

I'm not a great cook, but i really hate following a recipe. So, I'm always on the look-out for recipes that I can do from memory, and that will come out right even with variation in the ingredients. This is one of my favourites.

Tzimmes is a traditional Jewish dish of root vegetables and dried fruit in a sweet sauce. There are many variations. Google it for lots of pics.

Slow-cooker Tzimmes

(Note: I use a vintage 4 quart slow-cooker. Adjust accordingly for smaller or larger ones. )

1. Fill slow-cooker nearly to the top with cubed root vegetables.

(I usually use carrots and sweet potatoes, sometimes parsnip as well if I have some. Carrots and parsnip take a lot longer than sweet potato - cut them in smaller chunks.)

2. Add a few handfuls of chopped dried fruit.

(I usually use apricots and prunes, but I have also heard you can use cherries - that would be yummy!)

3. Add 1/2-1 cup of orange juice, 2-3 spoonfuls of honey, and a few shakes of cinnamon.

(Remember - I said I do this from memory. It is not exact each time. For the juice I use one of Kate's drinking boxes, since I don't usually have a whole jug of orange juice on hand!)

4. Cook until vegetables are soft (on low or high depending on how much time you have).

Mine is fine if I leave it on all day while I'm at work, but I have also done it in a couple of hours on high.

Serve as a side dish or with a grain base, like couscous, to make it more of a main.

This is my favourite dish to bring to potlucks, since it suits all diets (dairy-free, gluten-free, vegetarian, etc.)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment